Live Well Canton 2020
New Program Kick-Off
Canton Township invites you to join this special community initiative to make health and wellness a top priority in the New Year and "Live Well Canton 2020!"
Ask yourself what can be accomplished in the expanse of a year? What sort of change can we affect? What sort of transformation are we capable of? As an individual? As a community? That’s what a new year often calls for. The close of one chapter and the fresh start of another. With this sentiment in mind, Canton Supervisor Pat Williams poses a challenge to this community. Are you up for the challenge?
In partnership with Canton’s Leisure Services Department, we will commit to 12 months of healthy, incremental changes to the many different corners of our very busy lives. Through the new Live Well Canton initiative, we’ll explore ways to take advantage of this community’s plentiful parks, trails, facilities, and resources in an effort to live a healthier, more balanced life, taking time to focus on our mind, body, environment, and this Township.
Join us as we kick off this renewed commitment to our wellness this January, as the first month focuses on "Healthy Weight Management" and the "Transition Away from Sedentary Tendencies" this time of year.
|January||Maintaining a Healthy Weight & Goal-Setting|
|February||Heart Health: Active vs. Sedentary Lifestyles Plus Exercise & Nutrition|
|March||Eating for Wellness/Focus on Nutrition/5-A-Day Veggies|
|May||Mental Health Awareness Month/Self-Care/Arts for Stress Relief|
|June||Love Your Parks Month|
|July||Safe Fun in the Sun - Summer Safety; Sun Safety; Water Safety (Swimming/Hydration/Sunscreen/Bike Safety and More!)|
|August||Substance Abuse Awareness and Smoking Cessation|
|September||Healthy Kids/Healthy Future|
|October||Domestic Violence Awareness|
|November||Financial Health & Well Being|
|December||Winter Wellness - Holiday Stress; Indoor & Outdoor Ways to Stay Active Plus Safe Driving Tips|
HOW CAN YOU GET STARTED THIS JANUARY?
- Check out the Summit on the Park’s membership specials Opens in New Window
- Spend some time looking through the multitude of opportunities to get moving in the latest DISCOVER brochure Opens in New Window
- Follow Canton Leisure Services on Facebook Opens in New Window for goal-setting worksheets, 30-day fitness challenges and more.
Are you ready to commit to 12 months to a healthier you and a healthier Canton? Join the movement and let's get started!
American Obesity Epidemic/Healthy Weight Management/Goal Setting
Did You Know?
- 34% of Adults, and 15-20% of children are considered obese
- Obesity can lead to illnesses from chronic to acute, some very severe, such as Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Coronary Artery Disease, Heart Attack, Stroke, and Cancer
Here are several programs that will help combat these health challenges.
- January 1-31: Summit on the Park New Year Membership Special
Purchase an Annual Membership and save 10%! Choose from Individual, Student, Senior, Couples, Family, and Kids’ Corner memberships. Family Memberships are only available for purchase at the Summit front desk. Click here for pricing and additional information.
- January 1-31: Save 10% on Personal Training Sessions at the Summit on the Park
Don’t wait to get your New Year’s resolution started today! Meet with one of our personal trainers and get your health and fitness goals met. Our trainers specialize in: weight loss, sport-specific, senior balance and strength, and youth fitness! If you are looking for a single session, multi-session, or group training, we have packages Opens in New Window to meet your every need! Opens in New Window
- January 1-30: Take the Summit’s 30 Day Challenge
Start the New Year with your health and wellness in mind by joining the Summit’s 2nd Annual 30 Day Challenge January 1-30. Click here to register on the Challenge Runner website or app. Earn points every day for daily tasks including: steps taken, participate in a group fitness class, and meditating. Weekly bonus points will be awarded, so be sure to check the Challenge Runner website or app daily! Prizes will be awarded to the top 3 point totals! The challenge is free to participate.
- January 11: Summit on the Park Drop-In Open House & New Member Orientation
From 10 a.m. to 12 p.m., stop by and tour Canton’s premier recreation center, located at 46000 Summit Parkway. Staff will be on hand to answer questions, provide guided tours, and light refreshments will be served.
- January 15: Summit on the Park Drop-In Open House & New Member Orientation
From 6-8 p.m., stop by and tour Canton’s premier recreation center, located at 46000 Summit Parkway. Staff will be on hand to answer questions, provide guided tours, and light refreshments will be served.
- January 18: Summit Special Saturday
Experience all that the Summit has to offer, with discounted daily Summit admission of just $5 per person. Admission includes access to all amenities including fitness center, aquatic center, indoor track, fitness classes, and more!
- January 18: Free Zumba Party at the Summit on the Park
From 9:00-10:00 a.m., come ready to move during our Summit Zumba Party, located at 46000 Summit Parkway. The class will be help in the Summit’s gymnasium. This event is free for Summit members, all non-members will pay the daily drop in fee at the front desk.
- February 1-29: February Step Challenge
Step through February with the Live Well 2020 Step Challenge. Earn points for every step that you take during the month while you compete with other Canton residents. Click here Version OptionsLive Well Canton 2020 Headline Opens in New Window to be taken to the Challenge Runner website to register. You must enable your activity tracker with the Challenge Runner site to record your points. Challenge Runner is compatible with the following activity trackers: Apple Health, Fitbit, Garmin, Google Fit, Misfit, Nokia, Omron, Polar, and Samsung Health. This challenge is free to participate. The first place contestant in this challenge will receive a free entry into the 2020 Liberty Run on Saturday, June 20, 2020 courtesy of Running Fit.
- February 5: Produce Shop
Visit the Summit on the Park lobby from 9 am-12 pm to purchase locally grown produce from Canton Farmers Market vendor, Pick Michigan. Pick Michigan is a small family-owned farm in Canton and specializes in items such as: chicken and duck eggs, homemade corn and flour tortillas, winter leafy greens and herbs.
- March 4th: Chef Kristi Z. from meal prepping service, Grace Savory and Sweet, will be in the Summit on the Park lobby on Wednesday, March 4th from 9am-12pm selling some of their best products. Grace Savory and Sweet specializes in high quality products that are all gluten free!
- March 18th: Beaumont Diabetes Educator, Lindsay B. will be hosting a seminar on how to prevent Type II Diabetes through nutrition. This free seminar will be held in the Summit's PDC room at 10:30am on Wednesday, March 18th. Registration is required, click here to save your spot!
- March 22nd: The Canton Farmers Market will be hosting their second indoor Off-Season Market at the Summit on the Park from 10am-2pm. The Farmers Market will also be hosting on-site Public Health Dietitian, Nikki F. to assist you in nutrition and lifestyle choices. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>